Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Hormones: Who needs em?


            So because all of the hormones that I had in my body were taken out with my gonads, I had to have a plan to get my estrogen from external source. I started out taking an estrogen pill. I had to start out on a low dose, because my body had never had estrogen before. Eventually the dosage was increased, and so did the side effects. It was nice because my boobs started growing (but very slowly). But the side effects were not that enjoyable. I felt nauseous every morning. It would take about 2-4 hours after I woke up for the feeling like I was going to throw up to go away. This was pretty much everyday. Along with that, I would also get bad headaches. But that was all I can remember of the pill form. I would forget to take it a lot of the time, since I had to take it everyday. So I thought it was time to ask my endocrinologist about alternatives.
            She suggested to me a patch that I would wear, and it would give me all the estrogen I would need. This is what I used now. I have to change it twice a week. It goes on my lower abdomen, just above my lady business. I can’t have hair where I apply them, because it would hurt really bad to peel them off. But with my CAIS, I don’t have a lot of hair down there anyway. There are side effects to the patch as well. I still sometimes feel nauseous in the morning, but not as often. But I got so used to not eating in the morning, I am never hungry when I’m not feeling nauseous. I get some bad headaches still, but they are not as frequent as when I was on the pill. But I do sometimes get dizzy, which is also a side effect. I bounced back and forth between the pill and the patch for a while, but I have been on the patch for a while now, and don’t plan on switching until they come up with alternative that is more long term.

Why is it that when we know we should be paying attention in class, we daydream the most. I find myself thinking a lot about my condition, Ryan, getting my own place this summer, and a puppy. They say a dog is man's best friend, and they will keep you good company. So why not get one if your feeling lonely. Yes, it may not be the most convenient thing, but isn't that part of life. Having things that aren't convenient? It's all about making the choices in your life work. I want to do what makes me happy. And I think that having a little guy who is around all the time, and loves you unconditionally, would be a great addition to my life. I find myself missing my puppies back home a lot. Even though they have their little quirks that get annoying, its those things that I miss the most.

No comments:

Post a Comment