Sunday, February 20, 2011

Your Lie. My partial truth.


            Obviously, for a very long time I was ashamed of telling anyone the truth. I was afraid of what people would think. So for the longest time, the only people who knew besides my doctors and I were my mom, father, step-father, and grandma. To everyone else, whether they asked or I thought I should tell them, I lied. I guess I didn’t completely lie, but I didn’t completely tell the truth; just half of the truth.
            I would tell them that I didn’t have a working reproductive system. This meant that I could never have kids, or periods or anything. And I would say that I have to take medicine to help with my estrogen. If I were really close to you, I would tell you that I was born without a reproductive system at all. So as you can see, I never told anyone what was wrong with me. Just shortened versions.
            How could I expect others to understand and accept it, when I was ashamed of it myself. It wasn’t until recently that I realized I had nothing to be ashamed of. It was nothing I did. It was nothing I could control. It’s genetic. I’m still a woman, even though my DNA says otherwise. Gender is much more than just what your chromosomes say. My favorite example that I have heard involves filling out applications. When I am filling out paperwork, and I come across that section that asks for sex, I never hesitate. I check female every time. There is no question about it in my mind. I am a woman.

2 comments:

  1. Megan honey, you look utterly wonderful and of course, you are completely female... no doubt, no question. Being a guy I guess I can never truly experience what you have gone though or are going through, but believe me I really do kind of 'get it' for various reasons that I couldn't go into now. I am very lucky and honoured to know a wonderful lady who also has CAIS and she is a truly wonderful person and a great friend. My dear, I hope you know that while some may react badly, most people you meet will not run away like you wrote on your drawing. If they do, they are sh**heads who simply don't deserve to know someone as amazing as you! Love and hugs to you dear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh... in case you want to contact me, use colin at avain dot co dot uk. I'm sure you can work out how to replace the 'dots' and 'ats' OK. He he.

    ReplyDelete